If this is the first time you’ve opened Entourage 2008, begin at If you’re opening Entourage 2008 for the first time.
If you’ve previously set up accounts in Entourage 2008, begin further down the page, where it says If you’ve previously set up email accounts in Entourage 2008.
If you’re opening Entourage 2008 for the first time:
Open Microsoft Entourage 2008. You’ll see the Entourage Setup Assistant screen. We’ve found that it’s best to set up email accounts in Entourage manually, so simply click the close button to close this window.
Next, you may see a window asking whether you want to make Entourage your default email program. If you plan to use Entourage as your email software, click the Make Default button. The main Entourage 2008 email window will appear on screen. When it does, continue at If you’ve preveiously set up email accounts in Entourage 2008.
1. The Accounts window will appear. This window lists accounts that have already been set up in Entourage (if you’ve previously set up any accounts). If this is your first Entourage account, the list will be empty. Make sure the Mail tab is clicked (it is by default), then click the New button.
3. The next window, called the New Account window, asks what kind of email account you want to create. Set the popup menu for Account type to POP. (That’s the default setting). Then click the OK button.
4. The Edit Account window appears. Enter your email account info in this window.
Account name: Whatever you enter into this field is what Entourage displays as the account name in the Accounts list window (the window in step 3). The only requirement is that if you have multiple email accounts in Entourage, you want to enter something in this field that allows you to recognize which email address this account corresponds to. It could be “My home email”, “Company email”, or anything else that makes sense to you. We typically enter the actual email address that corresponds to this account here.
Include this account in my “Send & Receive All” schedule: Click this box.
Name: Enter your name.
E-mail address: Enter your email address.
Account ID: Enter your email address. Your Account ID is the same as your email address.
POP server: Enter your incoming mail server in the Incoming mail server field. Your incoming mail server is mail.(your domain name). So, for example, if your domain name were widgets.com, your incoming mail server would be mail.widgets.com.
Password: Enter your email password.
Save password in my Mac OS keychain: If you want to avoid having to enter your password each time you check for new messages, click this box.
SMTP server: Enter your ougtoing mail server. Your outgoing mail server is the same as your incoming mail server.
Click the button just below the SMTP server that says Click here for advanced sending options.
5. In the popup menu that appears, click the box for Override default SMTP port, then change the default number (25) to 26. Then click the box for SMTP server requires authentication, and also click the radio button for Use same settings as receiving mail server. Click the close box to close this popup window and return to the Edit Account window.
6. Back in the Edit Account window, click the OK button. That takes you back to the list window (from step 3), and your new email account is listed in the window. If you wish to set up another new email account, click the New button and go through steps 3 through 8. Otherwise click the close button to close this window and return to the main Entourage email window. You can now send and receive email.